A fantastic way to explore Ecuador is by train. After a multi-million dollar project ($280 million to be precise) to restore Ecuador’s historic railway tracks and stations, as well as restored steam locomotives, Ecuador’s rail network reopened in 2013 as a luxury train experience for travelers. It has been a World Travel Award winner in 2014 and 2015, and is nominated for the award in 2016. The train has a panoramic observation lounge with air conditioning, a terrace and a bar.
This tour sets off from Durán, where the rail network originally began its ascent from the Pacific coast up into the majestic Andes, until you reach San Antonio, the location of the historic Hacienda La Danesa founded in 1870. At Hacienda La Danesa you’ll get the chance to experience life in a Montubia
hacienda, tasting their delicious cuisine and learning to prepare chocolate using cocoa from the plantation. Optional activities at the hacienda include horse riding, tubing, milking the cows, bike rides, visiting the farm, a tour of the teak plantation or even a tour of the cocoa plantation. After a gourmet lunch, you’ll return to the station to return to Duran, arriving in the late afternoon.
This tour includes
· Train ticket from Durán – San Antonio (La Danesa) – Durán
· Unlimited drinks on board (non-alcoholic)
· Chocolate tasting
· Chocolate making workshop
· Visit to Hacienda La Danesa
· Gourmet lunch at Hacienda La Danesa
This tour does not include
· Transport to and from Durán*
· Alcoholic beverages
· Tips and gratuities
· Travel insurance
· Optional activities available at the Hacienda
· Personal expenses
· Any other service not mentioned herein
* TerraDiversa can arrange private transportation from/to Cuenca (approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes), Guayaquil (approx. 30 minutes) or any other location. Contact us to find out more.
08:00 - Departure from Durán
You’ll depart from Durán by train vía Yaguachi, enjoying the colorful landscape of the Ecuadorian coast. You’ll pass farms of sugar cane, banana, rice and cacao.
10:50 - Arrival at Hacienda La Danesa
You’ll reach San Antonio train station and visit Hacienda La Danesa, a historic hacienda founded in 1870 which covers 500 hectares and is owned by the Danish family Olsen Peet. Niels Olsen Pons is recognized as the best dairy farmer in the area. It is a magical hacienda which has recently opened its doors to sustainable tourism, providing an authentic coastal countryside experience.
14:45 - Departure from San Antonio
You’ll take the train from San Antonio to return to Durán.
17:40 - Arrival at Durán - End tour
At Durán you’ll end the tour after an eventful day.
||Kids (2 – under12)
· Dress in layers with clothes for warm-humid weather
· Comfortable walking shoes
· Sun hat
· Sun protection
· Sun glasses
· Insect repellent
· Bottle of water
This itinerary is designed to give you an idea of the available options for travel in Ecuador. But keep in mind:
- We can tailor this trip to suit your needs, tastes, time frame and budget
- Every aspect of the itinerary can be modified, from the accommodation to the activities