On this tour you can choose to travel from the coast to the Andes, or viceversa. You can even do a return trip if you start in Durán, travel up to Alausí, stay the night and return to the coast the next day. Whatever you decide, you’ll be traveling from an altitude of 80 meters above sea level to 2340 meters above sea level, and will experience drastic differences in temperature, of approximately 15 – 34 C.
Train travel in Ecuador is a unique experience. After a multi-million dollar project ($280 million to be precise) to restore Ecuador’s historic railway tracks and stations, Ecuador’s rail network reopened in 2013 as a luxury steam train experience for travelers. The experience has been a World Travel Award winner in 2014 and 2015, and is nominated for the award in 2016. The train has a panoramic observation lounge with air conditioning, a terrace and a bar.
This tour includes
· Train ticket
· Guide (bilingual)
· Two snacks on board
· Lunch (starter, main dish and a drink)
· Activities mentioned in itinerary
This tour does not include
· Transport to and from train station*
· Tips and gratuities
· Travel insurance
· Personal expenses
· Any other service not mentioned herein
* TerraDiversa can arrange private transportation to/from the stations in question at either end of your journey. Cuenca – Alausí (approx. 3 hours), Cuenca – Durán (approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes), Guayaquil – Alausí (approx. 3 hours 30 minutes), Guayaquil – Durán (approx. 30 minutes). Contact us to find out more.
** We can also arrange accommodation at either end of your journey. Please note that accommodation in Alausí is limited so you should book ahead of time. Contact us to find out more.
Durán - Alausí (Saturdays every two weeks)
Depart Durán station at 8am and head to Bucay for lunch and a chocolate tasting. Travel up into the Andes vía the famous Devil’s Nose, and arrive in Alausí at 16:55pm.
Alausí - Durán (Sundays every two weeks)
Depart Alausí station at 7am and head towards Sibambe in the impressive Chanchán Canyon. Visit Huigra, the border between the Andes and the Pacific coast. Lunch. Travel to Durán via Milagro. Arrive in Durán at 17:30pm.
||Kids (2 – under12)
· Dress in layers with clothes for warm-humid weather on the coast and a jacket for cold weather in the Andes
· Comfortable walking shoes
· Sun hat / cold weather hat
· Sun protection
· Sun glasses
· Insect repellent
· Bottle of water
· Luggage should not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm.
This itinerary is designed to give you an idea of the available options for travel in Ecuador. But keep in mind:
- We can tailor this trip to suit your needs, tastes, time frame and budget
- Every aspect of the itinerary can be modified, from the accommodation to the activities