In indigenous culture a pampa mesa
is a shared meal, usually in the countryside, where people spread food out on a blanket or poncho and sit on the ground to eat, like a picnic.
This tour will give you the chance to meet and learn from Gustavo Chalco and his team who are creating novoandina
(New Andean) food in Cuenca. By the end of the tour you’ll have visited and learnt about the local market in Cuenca
and ingredients, and be able to prepare a complete meal which you’ll enjoy on the banks of River Tomebamba. It’s a great way to lean about Andean products and experience local culture.
You can choose between different set menus in order to learn how to make a three-course Ecuadorian meal with a modern twist. The tour lasts about 4 hours.
If you have any particular dietary requirements, please let us know when booking to tour.
This tour includes
· A bilingual (English/Spanish) guide
· Market tour
· Cooking class with professional chef (3 hours +/-)
· All ingredients
· Set menu
This tour does not include
· Travel insurance
· Any other service not mentioned herein
Please select one set menu:
· Aperitif: Coctel de la Casa (The house cocktail with macerated fruit and sugar cane alcohol from the Ecuadorian coast)
· Starter: Papa Ecuatoriana (Baked potato filled with cheese, peppers, peas, shrimp and cherry tomatoes)
· Main: Filete de Cuarto Camino (350g tenderloin skirt in Amazonian BBQ sauce, honey, ishpingo, sweet peppers, mustard and roast garlic, along with a baked vegetable salad)
· Starter: Mariscal Lamar (Spinach, fish, guacamole, red cabbage, shrimp, red wine and zucchini)
· Main: Pollo al Barro (Marinated chicken with Andean spices baked in clay, with stewed potatoes and arroz finadito)
· Dessert: Bananas Foster (Flambé orito bananas with homemade icecream)
Menu 3 - Vegetarian
· Starter: Ensalada Cordillera Andina (their delicious house salad with Andean vegetables)
· Main: Cazuela vegetariana (A vegetable stew cooked with plantain, peanut sauce and served with rice)
· Dessert: Ximpurazu (Chocolate brownie with taxo ice cream and blackberry sauce)
||Price (per person)
This itinerary is designed to give you an idea of the available options for travel in Ecuador. But keep in mind:
- We can tailor this trip to suit your needs, tastes, time frame and budget